APPLE COMMITS TO BE 100% CARBON NEUTRAL FOR ITS SUPPLY CHAIN AND PRODUCTS BY 2030

ALREADY CARBON NEUTRAL TODAY  FOR CORPORATE EMISSIONS  WORLDWIDE, THE COMPANY PLANS  TO BRING ITS ENTIRE CARBON  FOOTPRINT TO NET ZERO 20 YEARS  SOONER THAN IPCC TARGETS



Apple today unveiled its plan to become carbon  neutral across its entire business, manufacturing  supply chain, and product life cycle by 2030.  The company is already carbon neutral today  for its global corporate operations, and this new  commitment means that by 2030, every Apple  device sold will have net zero climate impact.

“Businesses have a profound opportunity to  help build a more sustainable future, one born  of our common concern for the planet we share,”  said Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO. “The innovations  powering our environmental journey are not  only good for the planet — they’ve helped  us make our products more energy efficient  and bring new sources of clean energy online  around the world. Climate action can be the  foundation for a new era of innovative potential,  job creation, and durable economic growth.  With our commitment to carbon neutrality, we  hope to be a ripple in the pond that creates a  much larger change.”

Apple is providing detail on its approach to  carbon neutrality with a roadmap for other  companies, as industries look to reduce  their impact on climate change. In its 2020  Environmental Progress Report — released  today — Apple details its plans to reduce  emissions by 75 percent by 2030 while  developing innovative carbon removal  solutions for the remaining 25 percent of its  comprehensive footprint.

To support these efforts and beyond, Apple  is establishing an Impact Accelerator that will  focus on investing in minority-owned businesses  that drive positive outcomes in its supply chain  and in communities that are disproportionately  affected by environmental hazards. This  accelerator is part of Apple’s recently announced  $100 million Racial Equity and Justice Initiative,  focused on efforts that address education,  economic equality, and criminal justice reform.

“We’re proud of our environmental journey  and the ambitious roadmap we have set for the  future,” said Lisa Jackson, Apple’s vice president  of Environment, Policy and Social Initiatives.  “Systemic racism and climate change are not  separate issues, and they will not abide separate  solutions. We have a generational opportunity  to help build a greener and more just economy,  one where we develop whole new industries  in the pursuit of giving the next generation a  planet worth calling home.” 

APPLE’S CLIMATE ROADMAP 


Apple’s 10-year roadmap will lower emissions  with a series of innovative actions, including:

"Over 80 percent of the renewable energy that Apple sources comes from projects that Apple created."

LOW CARBON PRODUCT DESIGN


Apple will continue to increase the use of low  carbon and recycled materials in its products,  innovate in product recycling, and design  products to be as energy efficient as possible.

Apple’s latest recycling innovation — a robot  the company is calling “Dave” — disassembles  the Taptic Engine from iPhone to better recover  key materials such as rare earth magnets and  tungsten while also enabling recovery of steel,  the next step following its line of “Daisy” iPhone  disassembly robots.

The company’s Material Recovery Lab in Austin,  Texas, which is focused on innovative electronics  recycling technology, is now partnering with  Carnegie Mellon University to further develop  engineering solutions.

All iPhone, iPad, Mac, and Apple Watch devices  released in the past year are made with recycled  content, including 100 percent recycled rare  earth elements in the iPhone Taptic Engine — a  first for Apple and for any smartphone.

Apple decreased its carbon footprint by 4.3  million metric tons in 2019 through design and  recycled content innovations in its products.  Over the past 11 years, Apple has reduced the  average energy needed for product use by  73 percent.

EXPANDING ENERGY EFFICIENCY


 Apple will identify new ways to lower energy  use at its corporate facilities and help its supply  chain make the same transition.  Through a new partnership with Apple, the  US-China Green Fund will invest $100 million  in accelerated energy efficiency projects for  Apple’s suppliers.

The number of facilities participating in Apple’s  Supplier Energy Efficiency Program grew  to 92 in 2019; these facilities avoided over  779,000 annualized metric tons of supply chain  carbon emissions.

Last year, Apple invested in energy efficiency  upgrades to over 6.4 million square feet of new  and existing buildings, lowering electricity  needs by nearly one-fifth and saving the  company $27 million.

/* If you want to remove footer link visit http://shubhammali.cf/ here and contact me bruus */